Thursday, July 5, 2007

Reflections on the 4th of July


Happy 4th of July.....a little late. I was having too much fun yesterday and got all tuckered about before I could make some notes. I hope everyone had a wonderful 4th and took time to think about what it means. "When in the course of HUMAN events....." Which is the big issue, in my opinion. NOWHERE in the Declaration of Independence does it mention dogs. I don't even see a dog in this action photo of the D of I being written! Mom says their concept of 'independence' was only for white men, not for women, people of color or dogs. (apparently cats have always been independent.) Still, those guys did a very impressive job of creating a whole new concept. They were the ultimate revolutionaries and terrorists. They wouldn't have let a little airport security slow them down! Imagine what Ben Franklin could have done with a set of nail clippers. And Mom says we should remember that whenever people disagree with our government about stuff, it's disagreement that helps us keep as free as possible. No muzzle on freedom, Mitt. (can you tell I really haven't forgiven Mitt for the way he treated his Irish Setter?)
Gov. Patrick has made the requirement here in Massachusetts (birthplace of democracy!), that US flags over state buildings be flown at half-mast whenever a soldier killed in the ongoing war is buried. Today the flags are at half-mast. I think this is a considerate and sensitive thought. A better thought would be....NO soldiers getting killed at all. And I'm wondering why we don't fly our flags at half-mast whenever any soldier who has ever fought in any war is buried? But hey, did you know that dogs go to war also, and when they get killed in the line of duty no one even notices; because they are Just Dogs, after all.
So yesterday was a beautiful day. Except the part in the morning when Mom gave me a bath. She said I was itchy and must need a bath. NO, NO, NO!! I really don't like baths. At least she hasn't put my collar back on yet. After my fur dried I went outside and supervised everyone else, played frisbee and made sure Bailey didn't knock over the wood pile hunting for mice. Bear dug up a good-sized rock and was rolling it around until it went under the stinger wire....he got stung and then he just wanted to go inside (hee hee). Winston forgot to take his medication and he was outside spinning. (he spins in both directions sometimes.) And Bandit mostly just wanted to sleep, but Winston kept bugging him. Then Uncle George came over in the afternoon for our picnic, but it rained so we had to stay inside. Uncle George had some of Dad's good Scotch and a couple beers, then he tickled me and played with me for a while. All us dogs got leftover burgers in our dinner. Mom had some of that Scotch also, and some wine. Dad just had his Scotch. Dad and Uncle George were making jokes and saying goofy stuff that I won't repeat here because Mom said I shouldn't even have been listening. Then Uncle George left because he had to go take care of Shannon, the dog he lives with. She is pretty old and needs to go outside a lot. And we all fell asleep on the sofa. Anyway, the rain has finally stopped and it's pretty early. I have the whole day to look forward to! Mom and Dad both have the day off!

No comments: